Monday, January 3, 2011

A Resolution and an Outfit


Here, you can see, I have picked fresher colors for myself. Those are
daytime sequins on my shirt (demure, yet alluring). My pants are the
next size down. Meaning, I now have gray and black work pants- I'm
celebrating by wearing them and tossing my old pants. A necklace
my husband gave me, a smile and hot pink nails add notes of joy for
me to enjoy throughout the day. Welcome potential successes and
happinesses, I am ready for you to come my way.
 I have a resolution I can feel in my heart, but I am not quite sure I know how to phrase it. I want my actions and appearance to welcome each day like I am truly thankful for it.

I've been rolling out of bed just in the nick of time a lot the past few years and throwing on the only pair of work pants that fit with a shirt and cardigan. I say I want to be excited about the day, but my actions don't show it. I say I want to feel good about myself and my life, but I don't dress the part very much.

I was talking with my friend Stephanie about how I used to get up early every morning in high school to wash, blow dry and curl my hair. I also remember in the last two years of college I used to run almost every day and lift weights. I used to make lists of what I was most grateful for and make time to be quiet and by myself. I had two days a week my sophomore year when I woke up, cleaned the house, ran, made myself lunch and did something completely indulgent for myself.

The past five years of growing up has been a bewildering strew of changes. To be honest, I've battled tears and teenage-like angst over jobs, love, friends and seriously just getting out of bed each day. It's good to remember times when I really lived a habit or lifestyle I want to have now. It lets me know that it is in me. This year, I want to recover the best parts of me. This year I want to be filled with more joy than depression.

And I think that means believing in the smallest of coping mechanisms- like gold shoes, a highly nutritional breakfast, getting more sunlight and going to bed listing what made my day special, as well as what I'm excited to wake up and discover the next day.

I'll report back to you here.

And, yes, those are brass eagle head bookends behind me on the top of that bookshelf.

7 comments:

  1. You look fabulous and you're gorgeous. I love how hard you work to improve yourself and your surroundings — it's inspiring. I put effort into my appearance maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I'm going to try to make that 5 or 6 from now on! My only thing that i always try to do is have my nails looking nice — it's a little boost.

    Anyway, love you and miss you. Come visit Boston, please. Even if just for a long weekend. I need a dose of Daly. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so dang purty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year we should do everything we can to make the world around us as pretty as possible. Flowers, fancy stationery, manicures, pretty photos and so forth. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so on that train with you. This year's theme should definitely be Pretty. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great resolution! Staying positive is something I struggle with too, I think I'll try to work on that this year. Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this look = ladylike with a lot of sass and a hint of glam. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Stephanie, you should consider fashion writing. You describe things so tantalizingly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...